Friday, March 02, 2007

Alfred Turner (1874-1940)


As a first and introductory sample of what is to come here, I present from my visit to The Victoria and Albert Museum in London;
"Mother and Child" by Alfred Turner,


Two beautiful faces, the mother’s left hand, all four legs and feet, texture contrast, so simple.
The lack of shoulders so typical of a certain style pre 1950 adds to the relaxed aura, and slightly reminisent of a Gill which will come next.
The little boy’s demeanour is classically accurate and perfectly executed.

I love this work, it is just exquisite. Yes I could live with it in my home!
I must at this point pay tribute to the staff of the V&A for what is an excellent exhibition;

and a very grateful thanks to the Hintze family charitable foundation, The American Friends of the V&A and Mr and Mrs MD Moross who have funded it.
I highly recommend a visit.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Yes, I would like to live with that one as well!

And I'm glad you thought of me...

3:40 pm  
Blogger chris miller said...

I usually don't pre-announce my internet larcenies, Robert -- but this one will be showing up on my sculpture site tomorrow !

It's wonderful.

3:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home