Monday, January 29, 2007

Sir George Frampton RA PRBS

Sir George Frampton
Frampton’s best known work is probably Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens. It is hidden in a small dip at a junction of paths and can’t be seen from very far away. That is fine for intimate viewing but it is so easy to miss it altogether. In fact although there are a few sign posts, unless you were looking for it the chances are you would miss it which, believe me, would be a pity.

I have added a picture of the smaller version.

I like the monument to WS Gilbert (of Gilbert and Sullivan) surrounded by adoring women
and the Monument to Quintin Hogg below.




see http://www.artandarchitecture.org.uk/images/conway/8f51560a.html

see also Amanda Sisk's American version in Camden NJ
http://maohao.com/amanda/blog/?p=36#comments

5 Comments:

Blogger Blue Genes said...

Hello, Robert. Thank you for your comment on my blog. Yes, I can affirm that having lots of shrinks is useful, especially since they are all so darn small! ;~)Proof, no doubt, that the oldest vs. youngest need for "shrinkage" debate is far from settled. Your Ice Breaker sculpture is beautiful. I'll have to spend more time on your sites when my eyes aren't burning out of my head from having been in front of a computer screen all day.

7:01 am  
Blogger chris miller said...

The "Peter Pan" is a fine example of what I'm going to call "British-pretty" --- in contrast to "British-ugly" (The Christian martyrs statue you're showing elsewhere)

There just seems to be such a contrast in what the British do -- that haven't yet found -- say -- in France.

(I'm working my way towards a new - post on the blog)

8:41 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

Yes there's plenty of British-ugly produced in the last 80 years.

Plenty of French/European and American ugly too on reflection surely?

I look forward to the new post.

10:06 pm  
Blogger Erik said...

I find these styles "touching" one way or another, as a like Jugendstil and art nouveau very much. I have worked in the town hall of the Dutch village Baarn where at the entrance there was a sculpture of marble of a young boy lying and drinking from a wooden bucket. I found it very nice, I'll try to get a picture of it and get more details, I'll put them on my blog, just as like the sculptures of Pier Pander, a Frisian nudes-sculptor with a serene and serious style. Nice there are more people with my preferences and I'm not the only old-fashioned, traditional, out-of-date etc. guy walking around. I will visit your blogs regularly in the future, I like them.

8:37 pm  
Blogger Robert said...

hank you Erik, I will visit your site regularly and among other things I will look out for any sculpture you can find.

I am in need of a hair cut. My favourite barber was a delightful young lady who provided coffee and very suitable magazines to read while you waited. She also had a parrot who's language was very entertaining. And now to the point, in one corner she had a beautiful sculpture, art nouveau; a nude holding a light. Sadly she is gone only the coffee and the need for a hair cut remains to tempt me back.

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home